Q: Grinding sound when using clutch.

When I push in the clutch, I hear a grinding sound. This mostly happens when shifting between first and second gear, and when the engine is revving up.

A: Audi’s have 2 types of clutch systems. Most...

Audi’s have 2 types of clutch systems. Most Audi’s have a single clutch disc while the R8’s have a dual clutch transmission. The diagnosis is going to be determined by the type of clutch you have. The typical component that will make a grinding sound in a single clutch system is the throw-out bearing. This can be determined by placing the transmission in neutral and depressing the clutch pedal, if the grinding sound is present then the clutch throw-out bearing is the most likely candidate. Being that the vehicle is only 2 years old you may want to see if your powertrain warranty covers this type of repair. If not, have a certified mechanic, like the ones at YourMechanic, to take a look at it.