Q: Grinding sound from gearbox

Good Day, I do hope all is well and that this message finds you in good health. I have a problem on my hands, and i am not too sure if I'm being taken for a ride. I heard a scratch sound from my gearbox, and decided to take it in to a gearbox expert. After being told its a gearbox problem, and a few thousand Rands later, I got it repaired. After receiving my car, and driving it for a few weeks (2/3), my car struggled to "get into gear" as it is a automatic. I took it in to the same place, and this time they said it is the transmission now, and i'll have to repair/change that as well, that is going to cost me a fortune. Is there a difference between a gearbox and a transmission? and when repairing the gearbox, shouldn't the transmission also be synced/aligned/repaired with the gearbox to work?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. The gear box and...

Hi, thanks for writing in. The gear box and transmission are typically one in the same. Without additional info regarding the model of your car it may be difficult to diagnose. What model of Mitsubishi do you have?

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.