Q: Grinding/Scrapping noise

When accelerating from stop to 20-25 mph there is a grinding, scrapping sound. The sound is no longer present above 25 mph. There is no sound upon braking, idling, or at a stop. The sound appears to be coming from the front/underneath of the vehicle. I notice that if the car sits overnight the noise is much worse in the morning & that if I have been taking a long drive, the noise is much less present. What could the issue be? Thanks.

This may be potentially related to the brake rotors which can accumulate a slight rust film on them even when sitting just overnight. When you begin to drive in the morning and they are cold, the scraping sound you may hear is just the rotor scraping this film off. However, depending on how severe this scraping sound is, this may be a more serious issue or potentially a brake rotor that is dragging as a result of a caliper piston being stuck. Try putting the car in gear with your foot on the brake and slowly lifting it up. If the car feels like it drags a bit, this may be related to a stuck brake caliper issue. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose and repair the noise.