Q: Grinding noise with all gears except 1st, car always rumbles on 3rd gear.

5-speed Automatic transmission 2001 Ford Mustang, V6 Engine. Base Model. When I'm driving in first gear, the car drives fine. There's a whirring sound coming from the engine but I've heard other Mustangs of the same generation do the same thing. When it switches to 2nd gear, noticeably grinding noise comes up. I know the transmission is messed up because it jolts forward every time gears change. The noise sounds as if two discs were being rubbed together against sand. Almost as if there was dirt and sand being thrown around in my transmission while I drive. I have revved the car in Neutral an Park and the noise is not there. The noise always happens on every gear except first. As for the 3rd gear problem; the car shakes violently on 3rd gear. Especially when I downshifts on it's own when going down a steep hill. 3rd gear will always vibrate but vibrates even more when I give it gas.

Hello. From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle’s transmission may be having significant internal issues. Grinding noises and jolts when changing gears, accompanied with noticeable performance losses can be caused by a wide variety of issues and in most cases is an indicator of a serious problem. It may be possible that the transmission gears are worn or broken, and are now making noise when they engage. This can be caused by low or contaminated transmission fluid, or a worn transmission. Similar symptoms can also be caused by worn, burned, or damaged clutch packs, another internal transmission component. In most cases these types of problems will require some sort of transmission overhaul. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose the cause of your transmission grinding.

• Grinding noise with all gears except 1st, car always rumbles on 3rd gear.