Q: Grinding noise when clutch is out

I just bought a 2004 subaru outback. The manual transmission makes a grinding sound in first-third gear. The previous owner installed a new clutch 12k miles ago. The transmission fluid has not been changed for over 30k. could the noise be coming from the transmission fluid needing to be changed?

Hello, This may in fact be in part due to the transmission fluid needing to be changed as a result of insufficient lubrication. This may also suggest the transmission synchros may be wearing out. Your transmission has small gear synchronizer rings that help to move the transmission in and out of the various gears. When these begin to wear out, you may notice it hard to shift in and out of gears as you describe. You may also occasionally hear a bit of a grinding sound when trying to shift from gear to gear. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your transmission.

3. Grinding noise when clutch is out