Q: Grinding noise

When i accelerate or rev it up in park or nuetral there is a grinding noice coming from the front of the truck

If you’d like to diagnose the noise yourself try this. Cut a piece of rubber hose approximately 2’ long(a garden hose or automotive heater hose will work) to use as a stethoscope. With the hood open and the engine running, place one end of the hose on a component and put the other end to your ear. Caution: keep the hose clear of the fan, pulleys, and belt.

To check for the noise, place the hose on the power steering pump, alternator, A/C compressor, and water pump. Have someone press on the gas pedal to increase the RPM’s if needed to make the noise.

A large, 2’ long screwdriver works well for this, too. Place the tip on suspected area then press the handle in your ear.

This method works great - you can try these methods to find the noise. If you would like a professional to check the noise for you, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your truck’s grinding noise and determine what repairs should be made.

3. Grinding noise