Q: Got a diagnostic, mech says car need theromostat and all coils and plugs. Car was fine then check engine light 2009 Mini Cooper

Got a diagnostic, mech says car need theromostat and all coils and plugs. Car was fine then check engine light and blinking, sudden judder. Does it make sense that 3 of 4 coils all need relplace all of a sudden AND the thermostat? Car was running fine, I can understand thermostat but it seems mech is pushing for coils and plugs sicne we are from out of town

Hi - I would do a quick check on the problem codes causing the Check Engine light and other warnings you mention. In general you would have an occasional misfire or hiccup that you should feel as engine vibration as any of the 4 coils start to go weak. Some engine ignition systems are more sensitive to coil compatibility than others, and replacing all of them at once with higher mileage is a good guideline. However, you don’t have all that many miles on your Mini. I would challenge the reason to replace all of them on this occasion. I recommend a thermostat replacement and misfire inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose and/or correct these problems, and give you an accurate assessment of other damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• Got a diagnostic, mech says car need theromostat and all coils and plugs. Car was fine then check engine light 2009 Mini Cooper