Q: Getting a grinding/scraping noise when braking from my drum brakes, I replaced the shoes and drums and continues to happen.

I am getting a grinding/scraping noise when braking from my rear drum brakes, I replaced the shoes and drums and continues to happen. It is a lot less noticeable after changing them but it still happens. It is more of a roar when braking at high speeds, but only when braking. It's not continuous at high speeds. There doesn't seem to be any play in the bearings.

Hi Justin. In some rare instances, a build-up of excessive brake dust can become trapped between the shoes, causing this type of grinding noise to occur from the rear wheel. However, while you’ve indicated that there doesn’t seem to be a lot of play in the bearing, the noise you’re describing typically indicates a wheel bearing problem. It is possible you’re in the early stage of wheel bearing failure - as play will typically occur when excessive damage has already happened. You might want to have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete an onsite inspection before completing any repairs.

3. Getting a grinding/scraping noise when braking from my drum brakes, I replaced the shoes and drums and continues to happen.