Q: Getting a '73 VW 3 to run again after sitting for a long time

I have a '73 VW type 3. It's been sitting for a decade. What would be my plan of action to get it running again?

A: You will want to make sure you are willing ...

You will want to make sure you are willing to put a lot of money into one of those things. If you do, the first thing you want to do is take all the spark plugs out. Get an oil can and spray the oil on the cylinders and let it soak overnight. Then try to turn the engine over by hand. If it turns over by hand, that’s great. Turn it over a few times and get the spark plugs back in.

Probably a good idea would be to empty out the fuel tank. If you don’t want to do that, take the line out of the fuel filter and make a little tank, maybe a gas tank, to put the gas sign on it and then put it to the carburetor.

Then run new gas in and see if you can get it started. Then, if that works, pray that gas in the tank isn’t bad. Put a new filter in to see if it will run by itself. That’s a good way to start. You probably are going to need a new battery, and a lot of times, the starter would be locked up. You might need a new starter with that rust sitting there as it is not being used.

Consult a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you get your car started and running again. They will be able to inspect the vehicle and let you know exactly what fixes can get your car on the road.