Q: Getting a 0430 error code.

Hello - I have an 05 Kia Sportage v6 and recently the check engine light came on. According to the shop they got a 0430 catalytic converter error. I have a tester and got an oxygen sensor error. But assuming they are not totally lying to me and it is a catalytic converter issue I have a couple of questions. 1) Should I really care as apparently other sources say I can drive around indefinitely with the same issue. 2)Is it dangerous or will it simply cause a progressive loss of power? 3) Can I clean/remove the converters out without spending $4000. 4) Its a v6 and has 2 manifold and one exhaust converter. If one is bad does it matter? 5) What is the % chance of engine damage if I dont do anything?

Thanks

My car has 150000 miles and is an automatic transmission.

Diagnostic Trouble Code P0430 means that the ECU is detecting below threshold performance from the catalytic converter. The ECU monitors the catalytic converter closely and when a low performance threshold is detected the Check Engine Light will illuminate. There are a variety of tests that can be performed on the converter that will indirectly indicate if the converter is functioning. Although it is possible the catalytic converter itself is faulty, there are MANY other possible causes of the low efficiency that must be ruled out FIRST, including but not limited to engine misfire, fuel injector leakage, engine mechanical damage, oxygen sensors that output out of range values, and exhaust leaks. So, in any given circumstance where Code P0430 appears, you have to rule out other faults that have nothing to do with the catalytic converter.

If you do not resolve this issue, and continue to drive the vehicle with the check engine light on, if any new and different malfunctions occur, such will be invisible to you (no matter how many codes set, there is only one check engine light). Converters cannot be cleaned. They must be in place, too, for the car to be "legal". I recommend that you request a check engine light diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get the underlying fault(s) identified and resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Getting a 0430 error code.