Q: Generator light on when engine is off

The generator light is on when the engine is off, and it drains the battery. The light goes off when the engine is started, and I have to disconnect the cable when turned off. I installed a new voltage regulator.

A: I had a difficult time finding information ...

I had a difficult time finding information on this vehicle because my repair database does not go back to 1972. I found a generator wiring schematic on a website. Hopefully it's correct. The light should come on when the key is turned to the ignition position. It should go out when the vehicle is started or when the vehicle is turned off. If you have already replaced the voltage regulator and the light is still staying on, I would suspect a short between the regulator wiring and warning light. A trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to locate any electrical shorts for you to have this problem resolved.