Q: General Question About the Cavalier Seried

Okay, so I've been working on my girlfriend's 94 Cavalier on and off for a while now. At this point, pretty much everything but the transmission has been repaired or replaced. I have an opportunity to purchase another Cavalier, One of the round body styles, I don't know what year. The engine seems to be identical as far as eyeballing it goes and it has the same 2.2 as ours does, according to what I've found online, but I've read that GM made small changes here and there, so I don't know for sure if the engine and transmission are interchangable. Any knowledge on the subject?

A: Hello...a quick way of determining the inte...

Hello...a quick way of determining the interchangeability of complete engines (e.g., short or long blocks) and transmissions, too, is simply to input your car's year, make and model into a site like advanceauto.com and search engine and transmission and make a note of the part (or stock) numbers for the remanufactured engine and, separately, transmission that are cataloged for your year, make, and model. Then take year, make and model of the donor car and go through the same exercise. If the part numbers from the two searches match EXACTLY, you know they are interchangeable. Even if you are not positive of the "exact" year of the donor vehicle but you do know it is "after" a particular year or within a range, you can still use this technique to quickly determine interchangeability. You just have to input more years, but if in every year of the "range" you use come back with the same part number as "your" car then you are good to go. You can also use sites such as www.car-part.com to do interchange searches.

If you need help switching out an engine or transmission assembly, feel free to request assistance from YourMechanic.com. Obviously, that is a service which many of our local mobile mechanics specialize in and they would be interested in helping you. Good luck on your project!