Q: Gearshift locked

The gear shifter is locked. The car starts fine, and I press the brakes to shift it from Park to Drive, but it got stuck in Reverse.

A: Hello. Most of the time when this shifter g...

Hello. Most of the time when this shifter gets stuck it is because of the shift interlock. Typically it will lock in park though. If the vehicle is locked in reverse then you either have a shift cable that is seized or the shifter has a broken interlock solenoid that is jamming the shifter. If this is the case the best idea would be to replace your shifter interlock solenoid. A mechanic would start by disconnecting the cable at the transmission to see if it the shifter will move. If it does at that point there is a transmission issue. If not then the shifter itself will need to be taken apart to find what is broken.