Q: Gears slipping on bus

The gears are not grabbing. When I put the bus in reverse on a hill, each gear, high or low, does not send power to the rear differential, causing the bus to roll slowly backwards into traffic.

Hello, there are two reasons the vehicle doesn’t move. The first thing a mechanic will need to check is your clutch. They will look under the vehicle from outside and see if the drive shaft is spinning when you are giving it throttle. If the driveshaft spins and changes with engine RPM, then it’s probably faulty. The second thing to check is the two speed rear-end. In the two speed operation, the solenoid may not be working, or it may have a broken spring inside the gear change unit. Have this problem inspected by a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose your issue.