Q: Gearbox Rattle Holden Cruze 2003

Hi, I have a 2003 Holden Cruze. The gearbox has a severe rattle in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear as though a rock is being tossed around in a tin can and has recently began to rattle in neutral as well. I have heard that it may be the output shaft bearing or the throw out bearing but do not have enough information to narrow it down.

Hello. You are right that it can be any number of these things. To diagnose this, I usually get the vehicle in the air and drive it to see if I can pinpoint the noise. Most of the time it is from the transmission.

I usually start by draining the transmission fluid to see if there is metal in it. If there is then the transmission needs to be rebuilt. If not, then it may just have a bearing failure or simply old fluid.

If you want to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the rattling noise firsthand and repair this as necessary.

3. Gearbox Rattle Holden Cruze 2003