Q: Gear stuck in park

When I go to shift from park into drive (while pressing the brake pedal), it will sometimes be stuck in park. Most of the of the time it's not stuck, but recently it's happening more consistently. I haven't used the shift lock button yet because after about a minute, it works fine. There are no issues once the car is in drive. I want to get it checked out, but probably will not have time to do so until next week unless someone can squeeze me in today (and I have ~3 drive tomorrow and ~3 hr drive back the next day). How urgent is this issue? Will I be ok to wait a week or should I try to get someone to look at it immediately?

Thanks, Mike

Hi there.There are a number of reasons why a car will not move from park to drive, ranging from the shifter being locked to a broken shifter cable. Anytime you have a serious issue like this, its advised to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car does not shift from park to drive inspection.

3. Gear stuck in park