Q: Gear sticks between drive options

Our gearshift sometimes completely sticks. It doesn't happen all the time. What causes this and what should I do?

The floor shifter has an interlock mechanism with solenoid that unlocks the shifter when you push on the brakes. Sometimes the floor shifter gets coke, coffee or other liquids that spill onto the shifter and leaks onto the mechanism and solenoid. The liquid will bind this lock and will not allow it to move to unlock the shifter sometimes. The fix is to access the shifter mechanism and replace the solenoid and clean the liquid off the shift linkages. If you need help with this, have a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your car’s gearshift issue and make the necessary repairs for you.

3. Gear sticks between drive options