Q: Q: Gear shift stuck in park

Transmission shift lever won't move out of park position. Car starts but can't move gear shift lever out of park.

There are a few possible malfunctions that can cause the shifter to be stuck in the park position. It is possible that there is a problem with the transmission, but more often, there is a problem with the shifter cable, the shift interlock solenoid, or the brake pedal position switch. The most common cause being the brake pedal position switch, in my experience. Most modern vehicles will not start unless you have your foot on the brake, and this brake pedal position switch is how the system knows that it is being depressed. Most of the time, it will be mounted to the upper part of the brake pedal arm, underneath the dash, or mounted to a bracket that has a switch that is actuated by the pedal. Without knowing the model of the vehicle, I am unable to give you the exact setup for your vehicle. Also, most vehicles will have a manual override for the interlock, that you can normally push with a key, or some other slender implement, that will physically bypass the interlock. Just realize, this bypass is only meant to be used as a means to get the vehicle to a repair facility, and should not be employed on a regular basis. If you feel that you need further assistance, contact a certified mechanic, like those available at YourMechanic.com.

3. Q: Gear shift stuck in park