Q: Gear shift stuck

Is there a Brake Relay Switch (under the hood)? We have a 1999 Ford Counter, that stuck in park.and the Brake lights are coming on. Weve changed the StopLight Switch, and the fuse. It worked for a few days, and its stuck again..Weve repeated the same steps, this time it remained stuck in park. Is there any other options to take?

A: Hi! The ignition switch must be on, the bra...

Hi! The ignition switch must be on, the brake pedal depressed, and then the shift lock actuator solenoid must activate to allow the shifter to be moved out of park. It’s called the shift interlock system. An electrical fault in any part of it (including the brake light switch) can prevent correct operation. I would be sure to check ALL the fuses (including the horn and meter). Sometimes the name of the fuse can be misleading because it actually provides power to several circuits.

Replacement of the shifter assembly may also be required as it contains a "Park Sense switch" that I believe is integral to that assembly. You could have an experienced technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come out to inspect your shift issue and assist you with getting your Contour back on the road. Best of luck!