Q: Gear shift slips over to Manual Transmission without touching. I have to hold it to keep it in Automatic.

Gear shift indicator can either be Automatic or Manual - when putting in "Drive" from the park position - it slips over to Manual Transmission - I can push the knob and hold it in place ( for automatic) but that's not an optimal way to drive --- what gives ? Also - does this model require transmission fluid? I was going to check that - can't find in the owners manual where that would be ... please advise

A: Hi there. All automatic transmissions requ...

Hi there. All automatic transmissions require transmission fluid for them to work. In your engine compartment by the right side next to the radiator area, there is a box in front of the air filter housing. Remove that box and below the air filter housing you will see the dipstick to the transmission. For the transmission not staying in automatic mode and conveying over to the manual mode only, the shifter has either broke inside or the circuitry has a short in the shifter housing. I recommend replacing the shifter assembly with a new one. If you need further assistance with your shifter not selecting automatic mode, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.