Q: Gear shift lever not working

My car only goes into drive. Also, the gear shift lever is not working. After returning home and turning the car off, it no longer starts.

Hi there. You can be experiencing 1 of 2 things. Your vehicle’s brake switch which indicates that the brake is pressed allowing you to shift gears may be malfunctioning. These typically deteriorate overtime causing the shifter to be "stuck." Secondly you maybe experiencing a jam in the transmission gearing. This will not allow you to change gears any longer. I would have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your transmission to diagnose your gear shifting issue.

3. Gear shift lever not working