Q: Gauges won't work and can't get out of park unless I can get the key in just the right position.

Brand new battery and alternator. There appear to be no blown fuses. Engine turns over. Gauges, a/c, seatbelt alarm and clock won't work until I kind of jiggle the key into the 'sweet spot' (like shorted pair of headphones in an auxiliary port). My buddy works for car parts store, says it's likely the ignition switch.

From what you’ve described, your friend is most likely correct in their diagnosis. The ignition switch is at fault for these symptoms. If you’d like to get this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can diagnose your issue firsthand and replace your ignition switch as necessary. Good luck.

• Gauges won't work and can't get out of park unless I can get the key in just the right position.