Q: Gas topping off at four gallons

When I put gas in my car, it stops after only putting in about four gallons of gas.

A: When filling up your gas tank, it is import...

When filling up your gas tank, it is important for the health of your vehicle not to top of your tank. The gas pump will shut off automatically after the tank is full to a desired point. If topped off the extra fuel can go into your charcoal canister which is apart of the fuel system used to recycle unused fuel vapors. Once a charcoal canister is damaged its can cause the issue you are experiencing with your vehicle, not being able to fill up constantly without it falsely shutting the pump off. A proper inspection of your EVAP system should be carried out by a qualified technician like the ones we offer here at YourMechanic. They will be able to let you know what repairs need to be made.