Q: Gas tank

I needs to replace the gas tank in my 04 matrix i got a plastic tank out off a 05 are they the same?

The AWD version of the Toyota Matrix, XR and Base versions (both A/T and M/T), for model years 2003, 2004, and 2005 all used the same Toyota tank, that is Toyota part number 7700101040. Beyond that though (i.e., if the foregoing is not your circumstance), there are numerous variants of these tanks in those years so to answer your question I would need to know the VIN number of both your car and the donor car. However, if you are simply looking for a used tank, you can use the interchange at Car-Part.com and you will find an exact match for your car (there are many tanks listed for sale for all variants of the Matrix) based on your model, year, body style and equipment. If you desire replacement of the fuel tank by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a fuel leak inspection and diagnostic - tank replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.