Q: Q: Gas pedal not working

Our minivan's car battery died last week and the battery was only a 1 1/2 years old. We charged it multiple times but the battery was very dead and we finally just replaced it this morning. We had no problems when replacing it. I turned the car on to leave and as I drove out of the drive way there were three lights on. A red light with a lightning bolt between two lines, a light with a car and squiggly lines by the tires, and a light with random letters. I noticed the car was moving but when I pushed the gas pedal it would not make any sounds or accelerate. It was moving the 3-5 miles per hour that a car moves when you put it in drive. Even though he gas pedal didn't work I was able to drive it backwards in rear back to my drive way just from the power of the motor. We tried resetting the computer various ways because we thought it might be a security system but we had no luck. We even called a dealership and they said it probably was not related to the battery replacement.

Hello. It sounds like the alternator has failed. When this occurs these lights will come on due to the lack of voltage and if the alternator is not working the accelerator will not function correctly either. I would definitely start by load testing the alternator. If it is fine then it may be a problem with a battery cable or the fuse box, but those are unlikely on this vehicle. If you want to have this electrical issue checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose why the vehicle is not accelerating.

3. Q: Gas pedal not working