Q: Gas pedal hesitates when driving

The engine runs kind of roughly in my 2008 Mazda3 and it noticeably hesitates when I press down on the accelerator. My car has a manual transmission and the issue always occurs between 2500 and 4000 rpm. I can still drive the car but it is strange. Is this a sign of something worse going on in the engine? The hesitation is only a second or 2 long, motor only has 42k on it.

A: Hello, drivability concerns that can be dup...

Hello, drivability concerns that can be duplicated are easier to repair than those which cannot be duplicated. It sounds like yours can be duplicated. The vehicle needs to be connected to a scanner and checked for codes. If there are any misfire codes: p0300, p0301, p0302, p00303, p0304 then Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 01-046/10 might apply. It calls for a cleaning procedure to clean your spark plugs, but with your car being a 2008 model I would just recommend having the spark plugs replaced and see if that eliminates the hesitation you are feeling. If you have codes p0134, p2096, p2187, p2188, p2195, p2237 then TSB 5835, which relates to an oxygen sensor concern, would be relevant. To have any of these items checked out you can make an appointment with YourMechanic for a technician to perform an inspection to determine why your engine hesitates upon acceleration.