Q: Gas needle changed from full to empty and a gas smell

I filled up my car, went out and parked. On my return, my needle showed just about empty and as I drove, needle moved slowly to the top. I also smelled gas later, but no leak. I am concerned.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle may be having issues with its fuel module. This component houses the pump, the electronics, the pump filter, and the level sensor. If the computer has detected issues with the amount of available fuel, it will attempt to compensate for it, possibly causing the fuel smell. With the age of the vehicle, it is not uncommon for the module to fail. When the module is replaced, the fuel filter must also be replaced. With that being said, there are some electrical tests that can be done on the module if you feel the need. If this is the case, chances are the vehicle will continue to have more symptoms until the unit completely fails. For more help resolving these symptoms, contact our service department.

3. Gas needle changed from full to empty and a gas smell