Q: Gas milage not good

I just bought a elantra gt hatch back about a month ago The car had 14,731 miles. The dealer said I would get 26 miles in the city but looks like I am only getting 19 or 20 . What can I do about this ?

The authoritative data source for vehicle fuel economy ratings is fueleconomy.gov. Plug in your year, make and model at that website and compare against the returned MPG data. IF your fuel economy is 15% or more below the STATED rating at the government website, that is the point to make inquiries, or consider, vehicle condition, driving habits, climate, and terrain.

A car with 15,000 miles is essentially brand new and thus should not suffer any fuel economy degradation due to "worn out" parts. Some obvious things you might check though are tire inflation and alignment both of which affect vehicle fuel efficiency. If you make a lot of short trips or sit in traffic, your mileage will easily drop 10 to 20%.

One way to test the overall efficiency of the car is driving non stop for say 100 miles on the highway and see how much gas it uses (start with full tank and just re-fill it after 100 miles or so). If economy is as stated (MPG) after a test such as that then your car is probably fine and the MPG loss you are seeing in city driving is just due to lots of stop and go traffic.

If you discover anything out of the ordinary, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, perform the necessary checks to diagnose your car’s bad mileage.

3. Gas milage not good