Q: Gas leak when I fill the tank,Does my mechanic have to drop the tank?

There is a gas leak,when i filled the tank full,but when i kept the tank 3/4 filled it still smelled of gas,my mechanic says he has to drop the tank and check,which he is charging me $880. Any advise please.

Once the fuel pump access plate is accessed to see if the leak is the fuel pump or seal on tank. Then removal of tank is needed to see other leaks except pump. The removal of tank is over 6 hours labor plus alignment after repairs. Then if tank is cracked then replace the tank will cost more to transfer parts.

• Gas leak when I fill the tank,Does my mechanic have to drop the tank?