Q: Fuel pump problems

Can I install external fuel pump without removing the old pump from the tank

Thank you for your question. If you are working on a production vehicle, we can’t ethically advise you to modify factory components, system design, and the like, especially in a vehicle system as inherently dangerous as fuel supply. For your safety, all repairs performed on factory made production vehicles have to conform to factory specified repair procedures (typically set forth in very great detail in the Factory Service Manual and subsequent Technical Service Bulletins) using approved parts and materials. Regarding the retrofit of an external fuel pump in a system that presently uses an in tank pump, only a qualified engineer can assist you with such a retrofit. Pressures develop within fuel tanks, there is vacuum relief, and many other considerations that would have to be factored in if you are interested in modifying the the original and intended design of the fuel supply system. You have to keep in mind, gasoline is extremely flammable. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Fuel pump problems