Q: Q: Fuel Mileage

I have a 2009 VW Routan. The gas mileage in town is very poor. Running at around 15.1 mi/gallon. Also when starting the vehicle at times the vehicle will start and then die, it sounds like it's choking itself out, maybe some type of fuel issue?

Hi there. When the engine and fuel system is running efficiently, fuel mileage is actually driven by the driver. The smoother they are with applying the throttle, the more efficiently fuel will flow through the engine. However, when the motor is choking itself (as you indicated), this seems to indicate a mechanical issue; perhaps with the [idle control valve](https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/symptoms-of-a-bad-or-failing-idle-control-valve} or an emissions sensor. If you need to have this checked, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the stalling problem and advise you on the best next steps.

3. Q: Fuel Mileage