Q: fuel meter drops to "E" after reaching 80 miles

Recently the gas gauge has begun to give an inaccurate reading. When I fill up the tank, the gas gauge does show “full” but after driving approx. 70-80 miles, the needle on the gauge slowly drops to “E” and the low-fuel light comes on. In my research online, a lot of other drivers with my make/model have this similar problem. Every time I fill the tank, once I’ve reached 70-100 miles, I have to reset the fuel meter and then refill to make sure it is full. It’s a lot of extra trips to the gas station, but I am not ready to spend multiple hundreds of dollars on the repairs. My vehicle has approx. 84,000 miles. Is there a better way to fix this problem other than the expensive replacements?

This is a somewhat common problem for this model caused by fuel level sensor contacts that wear out prematurely. There is no alternative to replacing the fuel level sensor. If the dealer is unwilling to cover some or all of the cost, you are stuck with the cost of the repair. Resetting the "Trip Mileage" is a good alternative, but inconvenient.