Q: Fuel gauges malfunction on a '96 Oldsmobile Silhouette

I have a 1996 Oldsmobile Silhouette and the fuel gauges haven't been reading properly. What can I do to fix it?

On those, nine times out of ten it is the bad sending unit to the gas tank. Unfortunately, you’ve got to drop the gas tank, then take the sending unit assembly out, buy a new sending unit assembly, and put it back in. Now, if that’s not it, then either the wiring or the dashing unit is bad, but on those, it is almost always the sending unit. Because it is soaked in gasoline and it is an electronic rear stat, the electronic stuff eventually warps and shorts out from being soaked in gasoline. I’m amazed that they last as long as they do being soaked in gasoline.