Q: Fuel gauge failure

I just bought a used 1995 BMW 740 IL and I am having a couple of issues with both my fuel gauge as well as the speedometer. The speedometer gauge does not move at all it's stuck at 0, while the fuel gauge fluctuates between E and 1/2 tank......but when I go to fill up at the gas station the tank will only take about 3 gal max and start to overflow.

Hello there, you have several issues going on with your 1995 BMW 740iL. The fuel gauge issues and the speedometer faults may be related or separate issues. The speedometer has a few common faults such as a speedo gear failure, wiring harness fault, or the speedometer gauge itself. The fuel gauge faults can be caused by the fuel sending unit, wiring harness fault, or a failing fuel gauge. If there is a wiring harness fault, such as a shorted wire, it could cause both faults. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your gauge issues and perform a vehicle inspection.