Q: Fuel air?

A "Check gauges" light turns on randomly for a few seconds then turns off, and 20mins later it's on. When I turned on my truck in the afternoon, it sounded kinda funny like a air escape, so I turned off the truck and went to go open my fuel knob, as soon as I turned it, air escaped as if it were holding pressure. What is it? Or what would it be?

A: Hi there: In many cases, excessive vacuum ...

Hi there:

In many cases, excessive vacuum pressure that is released from the fuel cell when you open the fuel cap is caused by a malfunction of the EVAP vent solenoid. This component is designed to relieve pressure inside the fuel tank but also ensure that harmful gases are filtered through a EVAP tank before being released to the atmosphere. When the EVAP system is faulty, it can cause the check engine light to illuminate quickly or stay on for extended periods; as well as negatively impact engine performance. The best way to know exactly what parts are causing your troubles is to contact a local mechanic and have them complete a check engine light inspection.