Q: Front passenger-side speaker does not work - 1998 BMW 323is

The front passenger-side speaker in my car is having difficulties. The only way that I have found to get it to work is to bridge a ground, like a metal plate from the car, to a small bit before the negative terminal that plugs into the speaker. Then, sometimes when I turn the stereo system off,the front speakers stop working. After that, I have to unplug and then replug the terminal of the passenger-side speaker for it to work. I just installed a new stereo system and I’m thinking that I must have done something incorrectly. Perhaps I should follow the wire all the way to the speaker. How can I get the speaker working? Thank you.

A: You are following the correct path - make s...

You are following the correct path - make sure the ground wire (brown on BMW’s) has a good current path from the speaker to the chassis of the car. A multimeter can help you check resistance along the way. A professional mechanic, like a certified technician from YourMechanic, can expedite the diagnostic process and repair wiring damage at your home or office.