Q: Four wheel drive malfunction - 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 3500

I accidentally drove on the highway at the speed around 65 mph with the four wheel drive on. I was driving a couple of miles on the dry pavement, while the vehicle made unusual noises. The noise disappeared after several more miles. Now, when I switch to 4HI, there is no locking at all. The selector becomes illuminated as though it works. How much damage have I cause? Would I have to get something replaced?

A: Hello. It sounds like some damage has been ...

Hello. It sounds like some damage has been done to the transfer case or the front differential. The damage sounds pretty bad if the 4HI is not locking into place. More than likely, the transfer case and/or front differential will need to be rebuilt or replaced. I recommend having a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect your four-wheel drive system and complete a diagnosis of the shifting trouble.