Q: Forward surge while holding brake securely

My 2002 Ford Expedition is surging forward when my brake is fully applied or I'm slowly releasing the brake. It does not happen continuously just from time to time. For example..I can be sitting at a red light w/ my foot securely on the brake and suddenly my vehicle will surge forward by a short distance as if it suddenly accelerated. My foot, car mats, ect. are nowhere near the gas pedal. I was stopping at the bank window one day and applied my brake, came to a complete stop, when suddenly it accelerated forward pushing me past the window I needed to be at. It's very concerning as I'm afraid I will be in a line such as a drive thru holding my brake and do not want to end up rear ending someone because my vehicle suddenly out of the blue decides to surge forward. Your help is very much appreciated.

A: Hey there. This may be related to a dirty o...

Hey there. This may be related to a dirty or faulty idle air control valve, which is what monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. As this valve reads the air intake, it relays this information to the car’s computer which then makes adjustments to the fuel supplied to the motor based upon measurements such as air temperature, air speed, and voltage. When this is not working properly, it may cause too much fuel to be supplied causing the motor surge unexpectedly as you describe. If you need an expert to confirm the fault, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the car and follow through with repairs.