Q: Fluid leak.

I noticed a substantial fluid leak under my car. I checked the oil and transmission fluid levels and all are ok. It doesn't smell like oil or transmission fluid. Can you tell me what you think this is?

A: If you are positive that the fluid leaking ...

If you are positive that the fluid leaking from under your vehicle is not oil or transmission fluid, this would leave a few options remaining as to what could be leaking from your vehicle. The other fluids that your vehicle has would be engine and electric motor coolant and brake fluid.

• If brake fluid were leaking from your vehicle, braking performance would decrease and other symptoms may exist.

• If you had engine coolant leaking from your vehicle you may experience a sweet smell and the coolant is usually pinkish in color on hybrid vehicles.

• The final possibility is that you may have just seen water leaking from your evaporator drain tube while your air conditioning was running.

It is a common misconception that something is leaking from the vehicle. The evaporator for your A/C system is located under the dash. When the A/C is running, the evaporator sweats like a cold soda can on a 100 degree day. This water gets drained through a drain tube and lands on the ground under your vehicle.

Hopefully that is all you were seeing. I suggest having a qualified mobile mechanic come to your home or office to inspect the leak and quote the best path to repair.