Q: Faulty radiator

Can a faulty radiator cause thermostat and/or water pump problems?

Thanks for writing in. There are many things that can cause thermostat or water pump problems, from broken serpentine belts, to air bubbles in the coolant lines and more.

A faulty radiator is not very common. However, if it’s not effectively cooling water because of a broken fan or the radiator coils are damaged, it is possible that could be contributing to overheating issues. It is also possible that the radiator was not properly hooked up and that is what is causing thermostat and the problems with the water pump. If you want to have this looked at by an expert, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come your car’s home or office to inspect any overheating issues and let you know what needs repair.

3. Faulty radiator