Q: Faulty gas gauge or sending unit?

I was driving down one night and my engine suddenly stalled. I initially ruled out lack of gas since my gas gauge says I still have over half a tank remaining. However, just to be sure, I put in some gas using a jerry can and yes, the car did start. So the tank was empty. At this point (having added only 5L of gas, as per the jerry can's capacity), the fuel gauge still said over half tank (same position as before my engine stalled).

I filled the tank up to full. The gas gauge went up, but not exactly "full".

Would this be a faulty gas gauge in the instrument cluster, or a faulty sending unit?

Thanks

My car is a 2001 Honda Civic Si with 205,000 kilometers.

3. Faulty gas gauge or sending unit?