Q: Fanclutch

Replacing fan to fan clutch.need clutch off to get to four Allen head bolts to fan.tried using 2 Allen wrenched in the holes to the pulley,this is supposed to keep shaft from turning, and be able to spin fan clutch off, Reverse thread. Is it possible the fan clutch is pressed on? That I would have to remove the pulley brackey assy?

Hi Joseph. Thanks for contacting us today about your VW Passat’s fan clutch issue. Usually the fan clutch is removed after you remove the assembly as you’ve indicated. One of the best tools you can use to learn how to correctly replace this component is the service and repair manual for your 99 Passat. That’s what I use anytime I’m working on something new - and is probably your best bet to reduce mistakes and make this job much easier. This video is actually pretty good to show you how the fan clutch is replaced on a 2002 - which is quite similar.