Q: Failing PCV

I recently replaced my heads and I installed a FelPro head gasket kit. Everything was great for a few days then I began blowing out huge, thick blue clouds, particularly on start up. I feared my new and improved valves were too much for the bottom end and I now had to rebuild that. I saw on-line where someone said to check your PCV before you do your bottom end as a failed PCV can allow oil into the intake. I did the $10 repair and it fixed the problem!....but only for a few days. I started my truck and the cloud was back. I grabbed another PCV to confirm and yes, that fixed the problem again. My question, what could be causing the repeated failure of my PCV?

A: There should be two sides to your PCV syste...

There should be two sides to your PCV system. One side has the PCV valve and hose that goes to the intake and the other side should be a breather hose from a valve cover to the air cleaner or intake tube. Make sure both are clean and clear. You may have excessive engine blow by getting through your pistons.

You can test this by opening the oil cap while the engine is running. You should have a slight vacuum on it when you put your hand over it. If you see smoke coming out and feel pressure then the engine has excessive compression getting by the pistons.

I’d suggest getting this looked at by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose the smoke and help you fix it accordingly.