Q: Failing fan clutch symptoms

Conditions: Ambient temp- 50°F +/- 5° A/C- off Heat- off

I notice that when I start the engine dead cold, the fan spins very aggressivly then almost stops (visibly) after approximately 15 seconds. RPM runs high and then settles in that same time frame. Sometimes, when at operating temperature and I come to a stop, upon acceleration I can hear the fan run very fast and then quite down within seconds. Vehicle is new to me and am not sure of normal operation of fan clutch. Does this sound like normal operation?

What you described is happening is normal cooling fan clutch operation. When you first start the engine the cooling fan clutch will be in the full engaged position and may take a minute for the internal fluid to move back to no or low fan clutch engagement. This is why it will run fast and then slow down. The fan clutch can and will increase fan speed on demand as the engine temperature goes up and down. This is to keep it from overheating and maintain a constant temperature.

3. Failing fan clutch symptoms