Q: extremely rough starting

I replaced my fuel pump and reconnected the pump to the sending unit housing using fuel line and it was very tight going on so I opted to not put on hose clamps. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter as well but am still having extremely rough start issues. Car will start but takes a while worth of cranking before will turn over. I am unsure if the hose not having clamps is causing a pressure drop or not . Could that be the issue or should I be looking somewhere else. The car is low on power as well like it is not getting enough fuel.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. Start by putting the hose clamps back on. When it comes to this kind of situation, it really is a process of elimination. If reinstalling the hose clamps has no effect, and don’t be surprised if they don’t, then you are going to need to look into other issues. With the new fuel pump, filter, and pressure regulator the fuel system should be working great, so you need to look for some kind of restriction or issue pertaining to the install. Make sure the fuel filter is installed in the right direction. Make sure there is no damage or kink in any of the fuel lines. Check on the spark system to make sure all of the plugs are receiving the signal they should, and are in good condition. Once the vehicle is started, regardless if there is a check engine light on or not, have the vehicle scanned for diagnostic troubleshooting codes to see if any sensors are giving strange readings. Unfortunately, you will need to take it one component at a time. Verify the latest repairs are holding, and then continue testing for a second issue if there is one.

3. extremely rough starting