Q: Extremely bad oil leak and can't come up with any solution as where it's coming from

I have a 2000 ford explore awd with v6 4.0 engine it has a oil leak that drips down on the cat i cleaned off the oil and it looks to me as if the oil is coming from between the rear of the oil pan and front of the transmission and yesterday I drove about 168 miles and when I got home it had used almost a quart of oil could it be the rear main seal on the engine that is letting that much oil leak out and about how much that gonna cost me lol

Hi there. It is possible that the leak could be coming from a main rear seal, however, it is also likely that the oil filter housing, filter itself or the oil pan may be cracked; causing a copious amount of oil to leak. In regards to pricing, that’s difficult to tell; since our mobile mechanics don’t offer rear seal replacement services. The best advice we can offer is to have one of our mobile mechanics come to your location and complete an oil leak inspection, so they can tell you where it’s coming from and what repairs they’d recommend. At that point, you can determine whether the repairs are worth the cost or to replace the vehicle.

• Extremely bad oil leak and can't come up with any solution as where it's coming from