Q: Expected repair costs for a pre-owned car

I am buying a used car and found out that it has some minor issues as follows. I would like to know the repair cost in advance so that I can negotiate the price with seller. 1) idler pulley and possibly drive belt as AC is making noise. 2) passenger side sliding door is sluggish may need service or motor repair. 3) Should I need to worry about any other time/mileage based major maintenance.

Unfortunately, in the case of an AC system simply making noises, until a mechanic gets further into a diagnosis it may not be clear whether or not the problem is something as simple as a drive belt (costing as low as $50) or potentially an entire AC compressor and clutch (costing as high as $1500 depending on the vehicle). As you may know, much of the maintenance costs associated with most cars are a product of simple wear and tear. However, those costs can be dramatically increased depending on the driving conditions the car is subjected to as well as the driving habits of the owner. Depending on the last time replaced, you may also want to inquire about brakes and tires on this car. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic perform a pre-purchase inspection on the vehicle to get a better understanding of any other potential issues you may need to bring up prior to the purchase.

3. Expected repair costs for a pre-owned car