Q: Exhaust system repair - do I need new gaskets?

I ordered parts for exhaust system repair, there are several flanged joints for Y-pipe and mufflers, do I need new gaskets?

It depends on what the material of the gaskets are made of. Gaskets are fairly cheap, so I recommend replacing them. Your other option is to inspect them once the exhaust system is disassembled.

If they are a thin metal, they are reusable and I usually reuse the metal type. If they are a metal laced material, then it should be replaced. If it is a packing or donut, then it should be replaced. Packings are designed to crush and they don’t crush very well the second time around. Some gaskets are flat and made of a fibrous material that is also designed to be crushed.

All gaskets can be reused depending on their condition, so inspecting them is what makes the decision. Personally, since they are fairly cheap, I replace them every time unless they are made of the thin metal type. These are just as good old as they are new.

If you would like further assistance with your exhaust system, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to scope out the situation and advise you on proper repairs.

3. Exhaust system repair - do I need new gaskets?