Q: Exhaust muffler, front rotor

Am looking at buying a 2003 Mazda 6 sports luxury through private sale, and have been told by them that it will need an exhaust muffler and new front rotor and would like to know how much this will cost me

Brake rotors are replaced in pairs because if you put new brake parts, such as a rotor, on one side of the car only, when you apply the brakes the car will pull to one side. Also, if you install a new rotor and use the existing pads, the new rotor will be quickly ruined so it is not just a matter of installing a new rotor. The exhaust system varies on this vehicle by engine size (there were two different engines). It would have to be determined if the adjacent exhaust piping is sound enough to attach to a new muffler. Often, the flanges on the pipes are damaged (rusted out) and so additional parts are needed. In your circumstance, and to make this most efficient for you, I recommend you just get the whole car inspected and at that time you can get a precise indication of what exactly will be needed. If you request a pre-purchase vehicle inspection, a result of that inspection, carried out by a certified Mechanic, dispatched to your location, will be data, and cost estimates, on all repairs needed on the vehicle, including the brakes and exhaust system. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.

3. Exhaust muffler, front rotor