Q: Exhaust gas sensors replaced on recurring basis

While driving, the warning system warned to safely stop my van immediately. After stopping it, my van wouldn't restart. I had it towed to the dealership, an hour away. The exhaust gas sensor was replaced and they told me that this was a recurring problem and would probably happen again. Sure enough, it did. The warning system again said to stop immediately. The truck did continue running so I drove back to the dealership (over an hour’s drive this time). They replaced a different exhaust gas sensor this time. Yet again, they told me it would probably happen again. What can I do to permanently solve this problem?

Hello there. This is a common problem with the Ford Econoline. There are a few things that can lead to the sensors going bad, but the most likely is excessive exhaust heat. When the exhaust gets above a certain temperature or the exhaust gas temperature sensor reads faulty, it pulls fuel from the engine. This is done to avoid overheating the vehicle, and as a result, you will see the stop van warning message. Once one sensor fails it is likely that the rest will fail. If you want to have this resolved, a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to assist you with the warning light issue that you experiencing.

3. Exhaust gas sensors replaced on recurring basis